Because it is Wayfield Foods mission to provide the best food at the lowest cost and promote healthy living, let’s have a “heart to heart” conversation about good heart health since February is National Heart Month.
Additionally, the perfect gift this Valentine’s Day is the gift of good heart health. Along with Valentine’s Day, February marks American Heart Month, a great time to commit to a healthy lifestyle and make small changes that can lead to a lifetime of heart health.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women. While Americans of all backgrounds can be at risk for heart disease, African American men, especially those who live in the southeast region of the United States, are at the highest risk for heart disease. Additionally, more than 40 percent of African Americans have high blood pressure, a leading cause of heart disease and stroke. That's why this February during American Heart Month, Million Hearts® is encouraging African American men to take charge of their health and start one new, heart-healthy behavior that can help reduce their risk of heart disease and stroke.
Help us make a difference in our communities to raise awareness about heart disease and how people can prevent it.
Here are just a few ways we can all work together to spread the word:
• Encourage families to make small changes to their diet, like using spices to season their food instead of salt.
• Motivate teachers and administrators to make physical activity a part of school. This can help students start good habits early.
• Ask doctors and nurses to be leaders in their communities and speak out about ways to prevent heart disease.
• Add information about living a heart healthy lifestyle to your newsletter.
• Tweet about American Heart Month.
• Host a community event where families can be active while learning about heart matters.
So take action: be the cure! Join the national movement in support of healthier communities and healthier lives to keep our hearts from skipping a beat!Learn More